Monday, March 5, 2012

The Word of the Month

I've decided that I need a word for the month.  And for the month of March it is "MOTIVATION".

Dictionary.com describes it as:


mo·ti·va·tion

  [moh-tuh-vey-shuhn]  Show IPA
noun
1.
the act or an instance of motivating or providing with reason to act in a certain way: 
2.
the state or condition of being motivated
3.
something that motivates inducement; incentive: 

While talking with daughter Mary yesterday, we started to discuss diet and exercise.  And she questioned, how do we motivate ourselves to move, when we've become such sedentary people?  We know what we should do, but where do we get the motivation to do it?  Mary is starting to student teach today, so she will be moving.  But I've got to admit that I've become a "Lazy Boy potato".  Most of my waking hours are spent sitting in my Lazy Boy, my throne if you will.  

Over the past few weeks, in an attempt to bring my blood sugars into a normal range and begin the tedious task of losing weight, I have been analyzing and re-analyzing what I eat .  And what I have found is that it isn't so much what I eat.  Oh I admit that I don't follow my recommended food choices to the letter, but I don't binge or over do the sweets.  But my biggest problem is that I sit. . . and sit. . . and sit.  For hours at a time, I sit. I get up, use the "facilities" and then I return to my throne and I sit!  and sit! and then sit some more!  As my health and physical abilities have declined, Rod has taken over more and more of the household tasks.  So, now that I have identified the problem, how do I fix it?  How do I force myself to begin taking back my life?  Where do I find the motivation to get up off my a$$ and move, regardless of how painful or tiring it is?  I got my pedometer out this morning and had great intentions of starting to keep track of my steps, but it was dead.  And I just had the battery replaced, but I didn't use it.  So once I get a new battery, my plan is to keep track of my steps and try to increase by some each day.  Even 25 steps per day will make a difference.  I live in a rural area, with hills on all sides.  So walking outside is not possible at this time.  And I don't have the money for a treadmill, so that's out of the question.  What I do have is a Wii game system and the Wii Fit software!  Have I ever used it?  Nope, but I did watch it once.  Unfortunately that doesn't make a difference.  I don't want to exercise with an audience.  Do you remember the dancing hippos in Disney's Fantasia???  
Can you say Shamu on dry land.  Last week on Good Morning America they showed this video:
And I immediately thought of myself.  If this big guy can be forced to do sit ups, maybe I should seek out his trainer.  Of course it probably involves food rewards!  Perhaps this could be my motivation, and then again . . . . So, this month, I will be on the hunt for motivation.  Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment