Sunday, September 22, 2013

Strange Things are Happening to Me

I started Weight Watchers on September 3, and I'm surprised by the "Strange things" that are happening to me.  Anyone who knows me knows that I am an uncurable chocoholic.  I have been known, on occasion, to search through a cupboard looking for just one chocolate chip that may have fallen out of the bag.  On Friday, I had a terrible craving for chocolate.  But I didn't want to ruin my determination to take off the pounds with just one moment of weakness.  I went to the cupboard and took out a box of Krave cereal.  Hmmm, 3/4 cup of that cereal was just 3 points - and it has a chocolate flavored center.  So I measured out my 3/4 cup into a little plastic bag, grabbed my Kindle, and went out to the deck.  I sat there all alone, listening to the birds, watching the fish in the pond, and munching my Krave (what a suitable name).  It was a relaxing and satisfying afternoon.  And. . .  no breaking plan.  And I'm discovering that I like sliced radishes as a crunchy snack better than potato chips.

But the strange things are continuing to happen.  Normally on the weekends, Rod cooks me eggs and bacon with toast for breakfast.  It's all "legal".  But for some strange reason, I woke up this morning craving oatmeal.  Rod makes the best oatmeal, and happily made me some oatmeal with dried cranberries.  Not the quick oatmeal, but the real stuff - full of fiber.  It was so good, and so filling.  I think my normal weekend breakfast has just been overhauled.

We have planned a trip to Walt Disney World in December, and I don't want to destroy my success for a one week vacation.  So I have been looking at our dining reservations, checking the menus, and planning what I should eat to stay, well pretty much, on plan.  I want to learn to "guesstimate" my portions.  I do have some really cute collapsible measuring cups and a mini scale to take with me, but still want to be able to "eyeball" my portions.  Last night for dinner, I cut a piece of steak and then weighed it.  I was only .5 ounce off the three ounces on my plan.  Pretty good, huh?

I'm delighted with these strange things, and hope I continue to witness changes.

No comments:

Post a Comment